RaRMS Health Walgett
24th – closed
27th, 28th – normal hours
31st – closing at 1pm
Welcome to the Walgett Doctors Surgery, Walgett. The Walgett Doctors Surgery was named winner of the RACGP 2009 National and NSW/ACT General Practice of the Year Awards. The practice is accredited with AGPAL.
You can book an appointment with a practitioner by calling Reception on 02 6828 2133; operating hours are:
- Monday to Friday from 9am-1pm and 2pm-5pm.
- Saturday from 9am-12pm.
Each of the GPs, visiting Specialists or Allied Health Providers who see patients in the Walgett Doctors Surgery operate their own independent practice. GPs include:
- Dr Rana Sharif, MBBS
- Dr Nazia Ijaz, MBBS
- Dr Dr Sami Qureshi, MBBS
- Dr Anthony Scherz, MBBS Melb BSc MHA MMed Qld.
After moving to Walgett in May 2015, husband and wife team Dr Rana Sharif and Dr Nazia Ijaz continue to support the Walgett community. In addition to providing primary healthcare services from the Walgett Doctors Surgery, Dr Rana also provides on-call Visiting Medical Officer (VMO) services at the Walgett MPS. His keen interest in emergency medicine and passion for general practice in remote locations blends well with his position in Walgett. Aside from providing a full range of general practice services, Dr Nazia has a special interest in women’s health services, backed up with an Advanced Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynaecology which she obtained in 2015. When they’re not caring for the local community, Dr Rana and Dr Nazia enjoy spending time with their two daughters.
‘We are very lucky we came here. We are a very happy family. Exercise, enjoyment, relaxation – it’s the full package.’ Dr Nazia Ijaz
Walgett is a town in northern NSW and the seat of Walgett Shire, with the Kamilaroi people being the traditional custodians of the region. Located near the junctions of the Barwon and Namoi Rivers, with great fishing just a short cast of the fishing rod away, it's a 22,000 square kilometre playground for the modern day explorer. It is the gateway to the opal fields at Lightning Ridge to the north and The Grawin to the west. Walgett Shire’s towns and villages have a proud and fascinating pioneering history and the people still have the inventiveness and good humour of the early pioneers. It is a regional hub for wool, wheat and cotton industries. The main crop farmed in the district is wheat; however, drought over the years has caused an increase in the farming of lucerne and other good hay crops.
Walgett and surrounds is a thriving community and economy, and there is plenty to see and do in the region. Visit the following websites for more information:
- Walgett is approximately 45 minutes’ drive south of Lightning Ridge and 3 hours’ drive north of Dubbo.
- Charter flights can be organised to fly from the Walgett airstrip to Dubbo, with regular connecting flights from Dubbo to Sydney on QANTAS and Regional Express (Rex) airlines.
- The Walgett community is well served by the Walgett MPS, which has an accident and emergency department, and an established VMO roster. The Walgett Doctors Surgery is co-located within the grounds of the Walgett MPS and adjoins the Community Health team. The Walgett Doctors Surgery was awarded the RACGP 2009 National and NSW/ACT General Practice of the Year. Local and visiting allied health practitioners and specialists visit the Walgett Doctors Surgery regularly conducting onsite clinics.
- The Peg Cross Memorial Nursing Home and the Kookaburra Court Hostel care for the towns elderly residents. The existing town’s GPs service these patients at this stage. The Walgett Aboriginal Medical Service (WAMS) also provides medical services to the town’s community.
- The closest referral hospital is Dubbo Base Hospital, which is a 3 hour drive. The RFDS and Air Ambulance also provide air transfers from Walgett to Dubbo when required.
- Pathology is collected onsite within the Walgett MPS and tested by Pathology West (Formerly ICPMR) in Walgett and Sydney. Test results are provided via encrypted electronic messaging system.
- The majority of X-rays and ultrasounds are conducted within the Walgett MPS, with reports prepared offsite and delivered via an encrypted electronic messaging system.
Telephone: 02 6828 2133
Fax: 02 6828 2050
Address: 141 Fox Street, Walgett NSW 2832